Monday, September 04, 2006

Selfishly egotistic about vanity

I had initially imagined starting a blog and instantly having a readership. Probably this was due to my column in the Daily Cardinal. Students read the paper, you're in the paper... hence students read you. 10,000 a day is a pretty good number, instant success. So to anyone who has thus far read this, I'm impressed.

What's the point then, if next to no one is going to be reading what I've written? Why would I continue on my way without any feedback or recognition?

Since I've had a ton of free time on my hands lately, these questions have been rattling around my skull with only minimal distractions and no answers. Until today.

What is special about today? I watched Ella Enchanted. And the result was three fold. First, I felt unclean, similar but inverse to how a dainty, pink-loving, light and airy princess might feel after being coughed on by a random homeless person. (Note: I'm not completely sure where that image came from). Second, I was entertained. I'll admit it, I'm secure. Part of me was entertained enough not to change the channel except during commercials. It's the same part that liked The Princess Bride and a Kelly Clarkson song or two.

Then there's the third result, and that is the insight. Clearly, what's-her-face, that starred in said movie, knew this wasn't going to earn her an Oscar. I also can't imagine she thought it would gain her any respect outside of the 8-14 year old female demographic. So why would she do it? I think it's similar to a more recent movie which everyone (except my mom apparently) knows about, Snakes on a Plane.

What tie could I possibly find between a fairy tale mash-up and the most straight forward movie of all time? The drive behind the film... at least what I can figure is the drive behind the films. Money is in there somewhere, but for both lead actor and actress I think they were in it for the fun of it. Sam for the joy of swearing, snakes, and straight forward entertaiment. What's-her-face... ok, hang on I'm gonna find her name... alright, Anne for the joy of a positive female character, fantasy, and straight forward entertainment.

And that's why I've gotta stick with this. I still am mildly repulsed by blogs (it might be the name, "I've got a blog" just sounds like some sort of gastro-intestinal malfunction), but writing is fun. I flipped through some of my old columns and realized that some weren't great, but others, in my highly biased opinion, were quite good. Eventually I'll probably throw a few in here. Anyways, if I liked writing them and reading them, and expanding upon them, then I sure as hell better not give it up in the slightest.

So this blog will persist, maybe move dependent on future events, but persist none-the-less. And besides, if I write anything awesome now, and down the road a readership grows, I can always cop-out of a regular submission by reposting something old they might have missed. Ahhh, satisfaction.

2 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger WAT said...

There u go, I read your very witty entry.

CONGRATS!

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger eastcoastlife said...

he he....

I read your posts too.

Keep it up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home